Mission and Values
Community Shares of Wisconsin (CSW)—together with its donors and member nonprofits—addresses social, economic, and environmental problems through grassroots activities, advocacy, research, and public education.
CSW represents: Many people, many dreams, one community.
Community Shares of Wisconsin:
- Is a member-directed federation. (This means that each of our member groups holds a seat on the board, and together our members decide on our priorities, spending, etc.)
- Supports new, innovative groups in our community through our open membership application process.
- Actively works to expand capacity for its member nonprofits through training, 1:1 support from experts, networking, and technical assistance.
- Networks with local, state, and global organizations with similar goals.
- Builds relationships, community involvement, and citizen activism by connecting member groups, donors, and employers.
- Supports innovative solutions and ideas through pooled resources and the use of technology.
Our member nonprofits advocate for social change at the local, state, and national levels.
We pass on to our member groups:
- 100% of your directed gifts (these are workplace giving gifts, or gifts given by check, that are directed to one or more of our member groups)
- 100% of your directed gifts given by credit card (minus the small percentage that the credit card company charges us)
We provide much more than funding to our groups, however. We also offer our members:
- Chances to collaborate (see Caryl Terrell’s comments on this)
- Trainings on many topics
- 1:1 consultations with experts in fields like finance, accounting, leadership, and management
Member groups seem pleased at what we offer them, too. Kristen Petroshius from Gay Straight Alliance for Safe Schools (GSAFE) said:
I went to one of the trainings and have signed up for (almost) all of the upcoming ones. I just wanted to say this is a great perk to membership and makes it all click for me.