As the oldest social action fund in the country, Community Shares of Wisconsin (CSW) is a vital force for change in our community. Annual funds raised by CSW have increased from $300 in 1971 to over $970,000 today! Our base of support in the community continues to grow.
The majority of our funds are raised through workplace giving campaigns. Workplace giving is a simple way that employees can make tax-deductible donations to local charities through payroll contributions. Workplace giving is not only easy and efficient, it allows a company and its employees to work together to benefit the community.
The Community Shares workplace giving campaign is “donor driven.” This means that donors may designate (or direct) all or part of their gifts to specific CSW member groups which, in turn, receive 100% of those gifts.
It’s simple to start a payroll contribution program with Community Shares of Wisconsin (CSW), whether your company does its payroll in-house or sends it to an outside vendor.
What is required of an employer?
- You assign a campaign coordinator and, with our help, s/he sets up a timeline and distributes pledge forms and brochures to all your employees. (Most campaigns take place in the fall; pledges are deducted from paychecks during the next calendar year.)
- CSW gives you ideas for campaign promotion. Staff from CSW or member nonprofits are available to attend kickoff events and answer questions at your workplace.
- After the campaign, campaign coordinators collect pledge forms, complete a campaign report, and deliver pledge forms: one copy goes to CSW, one copy goes to your payroll department, and one copy stays with the donor.
- Your payroll department sets up an automatic deduction and a liability account. Checks can be sent to CSW on a schedule that works best for you: every pay period, monthly, quarterly, or annually.
What if my workplace currently allows payroll deduction with other umbrella charities?
We work along with other fundraising federations in many workplaces. Conducting a side-by-side campaign that includes CSW requires little added work. Studies show that employers who offer choices in workplace giving see an increase in:
- Employee participation
- Total dollars raised
Since 1971, workplace giving has allowed Community Shares of Wisconsin (CSW)—and you as generous donors—to help build social and environmental justice. Workplace giving allows all of us to help make positive changes in our community.
Benefits to your employees
- CSW has a “donor driven” system. This means that you as donors decide whether to:
- Give your gift to CSW in general, which allows all of our member groups to benefit
- Designate (direct) your gift to just one or a few of our member groups that appeal most to you
- We give our member nonprofits 100% of your designated gifts—and give you the peace of mind that your entire donation will be directed as you choose.
- Workplace giving campaigns allow all your employees the opportunity to be community philanthropists.
- Because payroll contributions are spread out over the course of a year, your employees are able to give more than they could with a one-time donation.
- Workplace giving is an efficient way for people to track their charitable gifts.
Benefits to your company
- With very little effort, workplace campaigns can be fun. They also allow your staff to work together toward a philanthropic goal.
- Workplace campaigns are a great way to demonstrate your company’s commitment to the community.
- Employees who make donations and volunteer their time are more connected to their communities and workplaces.
Benefits to your community
- Workplace giving campaigns are an efficient way to raise much-needed funds for local nonprofits.
- When you get involved in workplace giving, you give our community’s nonprofits more visibility—and they appreciate that!
- Workplace giving allows businesses and nonprofits to work together to improve our communities.
Read some comments from businesses involved in workplace giving campaigns.
Contact Debby Anderson Meyer, Development Director, at 608-256-1066, or by .